PHIL 164.001 – Morality and Business
Instructor: Kirun Sankaran. This course meets MWF 1:25 – 2:15 p.m. in MU 105.
This course examines some of the key debates in business ethics. Some of the questions we will examine include:
- Is the sole purpose of businesses the maximization of profit?
- What, if any, social responsibilities do businesses bear?
- Are CEOs being paid too much in compensations?
- Are consumers morally complicit in the unethical practices of businesses from whom they purchase goods and products?
- How should businesses take environmental concerns into account in their operations?
- Is price gouging always (or even in most cases) morally wrong?
- Should dating apps make available the option of filtering out people based on their race or ethnicity?
- Are there limits to markets? In particular, should we have markets for human organs, reproductive services, and sex work?