PHIL/WGST 275.001 – Moral and Philosophical Issues of Gender in Society
Instructor: Brielle Balance. This course meets MWF 8:00 – 8:50 a.m. via remote synchronous (RS) instruction.
This is an introductory-level course to philosophical issues of gender in society. No previous experience in Philosophy or Women’s and Gender Studies is required.
Questions/topics we will address include:
– What is gender?/Different accounts of gender/Non-western conceptions of gender
– How has the concept of gender changed over time?
– What is the relationship between gender and society? (How does gender influence society? How does society influence gender?)
– What does it mean to be a gender?
– Gender oppression and sexism