PHIL 78.001 – FYS: Death as a Problem for Philosophy: Metaphysical and Ethical
Instructor: Russ Shafer-Landau. This course meets MW 3:35 – 4:50 p.m. in PE 216.
In this seminar we will be discussing a variety of important questions about death, including:
1. What is Death?
2. What is the Value of Life ?
3. Why is Death Bad (if it is)?
4. Are We Immortal–and if so, is that a good thing?
5. What is the Moral Status of Suicide and Euthanasia?
6. What is The Meaning of Life and How Does it Relate to Death?
7. How Should One Face One’s Own Death?
Students will be expected to be active participants in discussion and there will be several short writing assignments.